Sunday, November 4, 2007

Knit both ways...

I'm not a toe up sock knitter. Never done it. May do it someday if I find a pattern I like...
But here I am, knitting up an ankle of a sock. "How did you manage that?" you ask. "Since you have never knitted from toe up and don't plan on knitting toe up any time soon?"

Easy... I un-picked, cut off, and picked up stitches on the cuff of K's socks. Shit.
Scared the life out of me but he wanted a couple more inchs on the leg so I threw in a life line just under my ribbing.

See it?

That white line was where my ribbed used to end. I am now knitting back up the other way. It seems to be working. I just need to figure out how to get the 2nd sock to match, because I suspect a bind off edge on ome sock and a cast on edge on the other will look/feel weird. I'm contemplating doing a provisional cast on on the 2nd sock and also knitting up after having knitted down and therefore having both have a bind off edge at the top while maintaining my 'top down' policy for the majority of the sock. Opinions?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ya, that's probably what i would do.

Theresa said...

I agree. You top-down policy, eh? That's funny. I've kinda taken to liking toe-up socks, if only because then I can try on as I go more easily. I especially like this handy pattern I found which involves no picking up stitches or what have you for the heel. Very cool.